“Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.” 1 Corinthians 6:19, 20.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, July 18, 2011

I ran the ENTIRE 5K!!!!!

So, I ran my 5K on Saturday night and it was great.  The morning of  the race I woke and and hopped on the scales hoping to see a decrease in weight.  I had purchased a new running skirt as my 10 lb goal reward and had yet to meet that goal.  I was so excited to see 181.4 on my scales at home which is 10 lbs down from my start weight.  Now, I'm not recording that weight on my blog because it was not an official weigh in on the gym scales, but I went on and went by that weight to allow myself my 10 lb reward.  So i got to wear my new running skirt for the race and I loved it.  I saw several people at the race that we know.... that was fun.  One of which was my first trainer, Greg.  I was happy to update him on my progress since he left and I began with Chad.  He congratulated me on the success.  It was nice to get to update him.  Below are pictures and the story of the night and how things went.  I'm sorry that I've been slow to blog.  I haven't been slow to work or train though, Band camp has started and made time management a bit of a struggle.... but I HAD to make this post and I hope to get posting back into my routine more often.  Thanks for reading.  Read below for the race story:

We arrived plenty early to register and get ready.  I am like soooo excited in this picture.  I couldn't believe that I was there.  I love my New Balance running skirt in this picture.  It has the compression shorts built in but you don't have to worry about the bulk of a second pair of shorts on top of the compression shorts.  I loved it.

All registered!!!! I'm getting more excited.  We were quite nervous though.

Stretching next to the car.... we were observing all of the very interesting pre-run routines that people go through.  Very interesting and somewhat imtimidating!

One last picture just before the race started.

Starting the race- that's me there in teal, I wish my physical therapist could see that posture! Whitney is directly to my right, you can see her forhead and shoes...

Brandon headed down the road to take some action shots, here I'm about .5 miles out.  At this time about 3 people were left behind me. I was definitely holding a steady pace.

He had me look for a picture... a bit blurred.  I was feeling good but a bit overwhelmed at this point in time.  This was on the way out.... we went out to the 1.55 mark and turned around and went back.... you'll see me in this spot in a minute.. or like 20...
You know what I loved.... the people along the edges of the course (you can't see them in my pictures) They cheer for you like you just hit a grand slam.  Also, when the race turns around everyone that is in from of you runs back past you and a lot of them cheer you on.  Especially people you know.  When Greg passed it was something like this "yeah... Bethney! You got this girl! Do it! lol. He made me laugh. Then people you don't know that run back past you cheer you on. It is so motivating. 
This is me headed back.  Not long before this two of the people behind me picked up their pace for the second half.  One of the guys was older (about Dad's age.. LOL, just kidding dad!!!) and when he got to me he was actually power walking at the same speed that I was running. OH MY! anyhow, he stayed with me for a few minutes, he complimented my steady pace and form.  He told me that he had been behind me and watching me the whole time.  He complimented me that I hadn't walked at all, not even for water.  He was a really nice guy, not long before this picture he told me good luck and ran ahead.  (Whitney ran with an older guy that was running his first race since getting a pace maker, yikes!)  I think this picture is funny because there is only one lady left behind me and you can see her in her white shirt just in front of the police that were pushing up the end.  It looks like I'm running from the police in this picture and it just makes me laugh. 
At this point I was tired but had hit the runners high pretty good where I couldn't feel anything much, I was in a rhythm and I was running and that was it.  After I passed back by Brandon here he headed back to the finish line with Mom and Whitney to watch me finish.
going.... going.... running.... running.... breathing.... breathing

Just after I passed the finish line... I was really scooting.  I sprinted harder that I had ever sprinted for the last leg, about as far back as the police lights are... I really pulled away from that other lady.  Now let me tell you about this last leg.  As I rounded the corner all alone knowing that I was next to last I saw two guys running toward me.  It was Greg, my old trainer, and Matt another trainer at the gym that I know.  They came and got on either side of me.  I was already picking up me speed... I said "Did y'all come to get me!, I just want y'all to know that I ran the whole time, I never walked".... Greg told me "when you get to that tree you are going to sprint as hard as you can".... I got to the tree and they sent me on my way.  I ran as hard as I could.  People cheered as I crossed the finish line.  It was crazy how amazing it felt. 

Did I care that I was next to last? HECK NO!!!! I finished!!!!!! I did NOT walk!
I MET MY GOAL!!!!! (take that fibromyalgia!)
I have to give God the glory for this accomplishment.  He goes on every run with me and gives me the strength.  I praise him daily for the accomplishments and abilities in my life. 
There is my time 42'48"
After crossing the line I could not slow down... I had to walk circles forever.  They handed me a time card... I had to fill it out, I was barely able to write, I was so wound of and shakey.... then I was off to find the water and fruit, I ate an apple, then a banana, a water, then half a gatorade.  I had a bit of an asthma feel in my lungs right after I stopped, but I did some good slow deep breathing and it got better soon.

Here is Greg and I . I was glad to see him, you may remember him from my picture on the left side of my blog from Jan.  Notice the apple here.

Whitney and I afterward.  Her time was great, like 36'58" (I think)
I've gained a banana here.  We were so proud of our accomplishment.

That night:  I was so tired, we ate dinner at about 9:30 when we left the race.  I got home, hit the whirpool, then went right to bed. 

The next day: I woke up and rolled over to Brandon and said "I feel like I got hit by a bus", I got up, took some ibuprofen and headed to church.  I can't lie, I had a little trouble focusing on the sermon because my body hurt.  I have never had knee pain in all my life but yesterday my knees were sore. yuck.

Today: I'm back to normal and ready to run again. 
My next race I am planning to sign up for is Sept 10th and I think Brandon (my biggest fan at my race) might just run with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment