“Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.” 1 Corinthians 6:19, 20.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

2 ounces? No how about 6 ounces!!!! Really?!

Being particular with portion size is really important for weight loss i have had a scale for quite some time but it is small and not digital and really quite useless. 

So we purchased the Biggest Loser digital scale at Bed Bath & Beyond last week (it's cheap) and I love it. You can use any bowl, plate, container, papertowel, or whatever else you can think of to set food on to measure. You place the bowl (or whatever) on the scale then press the "on/tare" button and it zeros it back out. Then you place your food in the container and it weighs it to the tenth of an ounce from .1 ounce all the way to 6.6 pounds. I have measured spaghetti, veggie chips, almonds, lunch meat, cooked ground beef, chicken. It works for everything!  Now let me tell you about measuring. 

So my Terra veggie chips have a serving size listed. It's "2 oz - about 17 chips" so I always counted out 17 but was left puzzled by the fact that the sweet potato chips are small but the taro root chips are large an there are three others in between. So how could a number be right. So when I measured my chips it was a different number of chips for each serving depending upon which veggies I grabbed. So now I eat 2oz of terra chips. 

About Spaghetti. If you have never seen 2 oz of whole wheat Spaghetti prepare yourself for disappointment. Previously I have been eating 4-6 oz thinking I was eating 1 serving. Yikes! A serving is 180 calories so three servings by accident would be 540!!! That's a big mistake. The way I prepared my Spaghetti was I placed my bowl on the scale, zeroed it, measured 2 oz of pasta, zeroed, measured 4 oz of meat, then sauce. So it didn't take but like 30 seconds longer to fix my food and I knew exactly how many calories I was eating. 

So, I'm hoping this scale will help me a lot with my nutrition.  

No comments:

Post a Comment