“Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.” 1 Corinthians 6:19, 20.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Sunday, January 29, 2012

8 Miles of Firsts!

Well, yesterday I went on an 8 mile run!  Not only was it my longest distance, but it was also my first ever run at dawn and my first long (more than 4 miles) run on my own.  I was out of town to visit my brother and sister in law with my parents and Meemaw for my nephew's first birthday, so I was sleeping on the couch.  I woke up to my brother saying "Bethney, get up let's go" It was still dark.  He was on a time constraint so i was hurrying to get ready.  Jason fixed the hydration belt for me (I had to use his, I left mine at home).  I got ready and grabbed a Zone bar.  My question... "Is this enough for breakfast?" Jason's response.... "It has to be, lets go"... I had Gu and Sport Beans in my belt.  I was good.  Off we went, I was half asleep and running.  I had phone trouble, had to restart my phone to get RunKeeper to work.  By the time I hit the main road I had to call Jason to see which way to go.  I was nervous about my start. LOL.  Soon after hitting the main road I noticed that the front bottle on my right side wasn't fastened closed and I had water down my right arm.  At 31 degrees that was cold.  It had time to dry :)  I got to about the 1.5 mile mark and my brother had turned around.  He has a recent knee injury and had restrictions. He gave me instructions on the route to take and I was mostly worried about the following statement... "When you get to the top of the hill, turn right.... you'll know when you get to the top of the hill".. YEAH I KNEW WHEN I GOT TO THE TOP OF THE HILL.  My goodness!  At around 2 miles, I worried about getting to 8, but I focused and kept going.  I had some more firsts... running parallel to the interstate (nervous!) Needing to stop for a restroom break and not finding one, etc. I ran over the interstate for the first time.  That was an awkward feeling.  The picture below is with a NEW (curve) sign.  I thought it was appropriate for a new runner on a new length of run to take a picture with.






 I ate 3 beans after 2,4,6,7..... After 6 I was feeling kinda funny... not weak and not light headed, but I felt like my equal librium was off.  So I grabbed a GU.  I hated it last time I tried it, but I discovered yesterday that when its needed it is GOOD!!!!

At about 6.5 Dad and Jason drove by on an errand and checked to make sure that I was ok.  I was !

At 7.5 I got to run back over the interstate! Picture below!

Here is what I have to say about running over on an overpass.... Its better than running under and overpass! (I sprint under bridges to get out from under them).  But when I look down off the over pass it make my butt feel funny, like a roller coaster.

Just after the bridge I had another first! A creepy dog!  He popped out from nowhere and was a very serious looking dog.  Now, Im a dog person for sure.  I have three.  But I never underestimate the power of a random dog on a run.  I slowed my pace drastically, the cars near by slowed down and watched.... I took a snapshot incase he attacked, so we could identify the dog (I'm an over thinker!) He was a very pointy dog as I describe him.... he actually went out of his way to go around me.  Whew! I was glad.  I told myself "if this dog bites me, I'm running the last .3 miles before anyone picks me up.  I'm going 8 miles!


I sprinted my last .1 miles.  I couldn't believe I had done it!  I did it. 8 miles.  I felt as though I was an eternity from the house, actual distance .5 miles... so I took a nice strolling cool down walk back to the house where I had my sis in law snap my "8" pictures and then I cleaned up and enjoyed my nephew's first birthday.  Im sore, but not too bad.  My pace was about 45 seconds slower than I aimed for, but I finished and that is what I headed out to do.  So... next is 9!!!

Nov. accomplished 5
Dec. 6 & 7
Jan. accomplished 8
Feb........ let's see


4 comments:

  1. congrats!!! Don't you hate it when all you want to do is run and your gear is malfunctioning?! my iphone arm band is too small for my arm and so I have to either just push it up every 10 seconds or make it double tight. I think i'm going to go to walmart and get some velcro and playing around with the placement.

    Anyways GOOD JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous!!! I'm not sure what I would do with 8 miles!! :) Tomorrow I start week 3 of c25k, so I'm pretty excited about that. Thanks again for sharing your journey - it's been a great encouragement for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! Congrats on your 8 miles! You are such an inspiration to me! Keep up the hard work! I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic job! ~Brittany @ZonePerfect

    ReplyDelete