“Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.” 1 Corinthians 6:19, 20.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, January 9, 2012

"When Can I Run?"

"When Can I Run?" *GASP* did that come out of MY mouth?! Well, yes it did! This may not be a gasping moment for those of you reading my blog and it wasn't for me when I said it. I took my gasp an hour later driving to the post office!

I have been through many physically active times in my life. I played sports growing up-high school, I always worked out in college. I began Couch 2 5K 3 times before I finished it. But when I was 10 and it rained out softball, I was kinda sad that the game/practice was cancelled but in my head down in my true self it was like PARTY TIME. Woot woot! I don't have to go! As a matter of fact they won't LET me go! Same was true for soccer and running in my previous failed attempts at becoming a "runner". I was so relieved when I was not able to do those activities for a reason beyond myself. Now Marching Band and Tennis were different. I loved those two things and I as good at them. I was genuinely upset if they were cancelled. Though I was glad to set my rear on the couch after being upset.

I haven't blogged in a few days because I was quite frankly angry at my situation. So let me give you the quick version of the story.

Woke up Sat morning early with bad leg, butt, and foot pain on my right side. I could tell it was coming from my sciatic nerve. I was supposed to run 6 miles Sat!!!!

Texted my trainer and she advised to rest and reduce my calories for the day. I also left Sunday as my originally schedules rest day. I iced and stretched.

So here was Monday. The leg/foot pain had subsided but the butt was not relieved! My trainer checked on me mid day and she also spoke with the head PT guy at the gym. I told her it still hurt just not as bad. The two of them had me come into PT today after work. I did...

After several physical tests and measurable movements and manipulations of the area the PT, Jon, who is very good at what he does. Determined that it was my piriformis muscle that had in trapped my sciatic nerve therefore irritating it.

PT orders in short:
Don't run until you have relief (5-7 days)
Do easy stretching of the piriformis. I was taught how by the PT. 2x per day.
Don't stretch too hard in that muscle group, it will agitate the sciatic more.
Do simple motion exercises (also taught to me by PT) 2x per day.
Ice it.

So I turned to the PT and said "When can I run?" that was before the suggestion of when I could run again was set. We set it at that time.

I was thankful to Jon and headed out. I had to run some errands. Once my trainer was done teaching her class I texted her to call me. That is about the time that it hit me... I was genuinely UPSET that I couldn't run. Me? Really? It wasn't just a show. I was seriously focused on when can I run again?, how much longer?

I was worried about how to get my workouts in this week. I'm running a four miler on Sat to benefit one of the students at the school where I teach. I encourage my students and their families to attend. I can't NOT be there! I can't NOT run! What to do?

My trainer called after while and we went through everything. She told me what to remove from my circuits (crossfit and strength) and how to modify it to make sure I don't agitate the muscle/sciatic. We decided that I would do my runs Tues/Thurs in the pool at the gym. (Deja Vu last Jan!)
I'm reducing my calories by 200 each day this week, and I'm going to keep in contact with her to see how it's all going. She plans to see Jon before our next workout to see if he has any suggestions for my hip flexors and hamstrings which he suggested I strengthen to reduce the risk of this injury in the future.

I told my trainer how surprised I was with my self, my TRUE self, being bummed that I can't run and looking forward to following directions perfect to lace up Sat morning.

I believe that I have experienced a character change in myself. Maybe it's a confidence change or a will power change. I don't know exactly what it is but it's a change and its real and it's for the best! This is proof that I'm changing my life! Im changing me both inside and out! What a break through I had today. God puts obstacles on our course to teach us. I'm thankful for his teaching today!

So I'm on a mission to get better by Saturday to run the Frozen Four for Jesse! It will be an easy run. No speed work this time. If I'm not better I will have to walk it :/

So I'm putting my mind and prayers to it! I'll run Saturday!

Thanks for reading. If you have a blog share it with me. Tell your friends about my blog! Follow me on Twitter @findtheskinny

Also follow
@Run2Walk

Picture is of me today, no makeup Monday for this girl today. I just hated not to include a picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment