“Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.” 1 Corinthians 6:19, 20.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Big News! Run2Walk

So, Wednesday a news article kinda leaked info that I was looking forward to sharing with you, but hadn't done yet.  I was sooo excited for y'all to find out! Why had I not shared with you that I'm the first sponsor runner for Run2Walk?  Because my story isn't yet available for viewing on their website.  It will be available toward the end of Feb.  So initially we were planning for me to wait and announce my involvement with R2W until you could go right to run2walk.org and see it.  When we asked permission for filming in my classroom the PR director for my school system was excited and contacted Daily News (local paper).  Jason (R2W founder and my brother) and I were so excited for Run2Walk to get some PR!  When the article came out on Wednesday Jason and I were so excited and pleased at how well the article was written.  We decided to go on and get the article out there and get excited... so now you will just be more informed when my story hits Run2Walk.  The Daily News came during my after lunch class (general music), when my story hits run2walk.org you will see more of what I do as a choir director.

Talking to the class about Run2Walk - picture from Daily News

Shot from the R2W camera of Jason and I talking to my general music class
picture from Daily News

Another picture from Daily News
http://www.bgdailynews.com/news/local/east-teacher-running-with-a-purpose/article_78694f9c-527a-11e1-bcee-0019bb2963f4.html?mode=image

So here is a bit of info about my involvement:

How did I get in this position as first sponsored runner?
My brother is the founder and I had already committed to running the half in April before Run2Walk took form.  When the board of directors was determining how to launch the idea and a "first sponsored runner" came up Jason told them that I was already training (back in Sept).  So at Thanksgiving Jason told me all about Run2Walk and asked me to be the first sponsored runner.  I was so honored to take on this responsibility.

How I felt?
Jason and I grew up with an Aunt and Uncle who were unable to walk due to multiple sclerosis.  I always new they would do anything to walk again.  It always upset me that there are people like them who wanted to but couldn't and then there were those who could but wouldn't.  Then there is the whole other side of the idea which is running while knowing someone else can't walk.  Have you ever run past someone in a wheelchair?  It makes me feel terrible when I do.  I can't imagine the feeling they have.  Some might think they get used to it, or become numb to it, but can you imagine if they don't?!  So, I cried a bit when I mentioned our aunt and uncle (who we miss very much) to my brother and how I finally feel like I can do something to help people like them.

What I do?
I immediately started doing a video diary of my journey to be used on the R2W site and I got on Twitter to make better connections with runners to encourage me and to also hopefully inspire others and share my story to help spread the word about R2W.  I have come to LOVE twitter and I enjoy so much the twitter people I have "met" that are on journeys similar to mine.  Thanks to all my twitter followers! I have continued to blog as well.

What's next?
I can now share about Run2Walk in my blog!!! so Yay!  I continue to train and video diary.  I have another filming weekend coming up with R2W.

What can you do?
Follow me! @findtheskinny on twitter, here at my blog, and on www.run2walk.org very soon.  Until my story is on the R2W site, please go on to the site and read all about it, watch the promo video, and bookmark it!

Thank you so much to all of my blog readers! You mean a lot to me and are instrumental in my training! I just never know when a reader is watching me.  I learned that this weekend.  I went to my Music Teacher conference where I saw many many friends that I don't see often.  I was so shocked at how many people mentioned following my blog/running story.  I mentioned that to my hubby, also at the conference, and he said "you have NO idea!".  I asked what he meant?  He had spent some time talking to a colleague from another county that he didn't know well, and when he was introduced to that colleague's girlfriend she said "oh, I read your wife's blog!"  WOAH! I was stunned.  So many people read this blog that I don't even realize.  Thanks to the girlfriend of the KMEA member that met my husband this week.  You have encouraged me!

Thanks everyone! keep reading! Lots more about Run2Walk to come!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bethney! I am the one who met your husband at KMEA! I just found your blog a month or two ago, and went back and read it from the beginning! I had the page up, and my boyfriend said, "umm, where did you find that blog? I know them!"

    Small world! It was nice to meet your husband, and sad when I found out later that I just missed meeting you! I've enjoyed your blog so much and it is so so inspiring!

    I'm excited to keep reading, and can't wait to follow your progress and training! :)

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey. I wish I could have met you too! I did meet your boyfriend Friday. Are you a music teacher? We will have to get together at the next KMEA.

    ReplyDelete