“Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.” 1 Corinthians 6:19, 20.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, December 5, 2011

Cuboid? What is a cuboid?!

Yeah so I met the physical therapist today at the gym to discuss my foot pain. After many manipulative type tests he feels that it is my cuboid bone in my foot, located on the outside of the foot between the long pinky toe bone and the ankle bone (picture below)

My Achilles (heel cords) tendon is short/tight always has been.... As a child my mom had to stretch my ankles for me. Anyhow, due to lack of flexibility there I have also come to have tight calf muscles. Since these two things don't flex much my foot then hinges in the mid foot area (at the cuboid bone). This causes the cuboid to move in a piston action (not ideal) this then allows the cuboid to end up lower than intended. (subluxated)

Article:
http://www.cascadewellnessclinic.com/articles/2002art/0211art.shtml

So the therapist adjusted the cuboid back up for me (it didn't hurt). Kinda like a chiropractor. Lol.

He said lots and lots of stretching and warming up for the Achilles and calf. He showed me how to roll a towel and place it under my foot and lean into it to help push the cuboid back up into place. He also taught me toe crunches. Yes toe crunches. Put a pillowcase on the floor and use my toes to crunch it all up over and over. Exciting huh?

It will be exciting hen it helps and the pain goes away. Luckily he said not to stop running. So yay! He did say that if it begins to hurt while running to stop running and walk. You bet that I'll be stretching good tomorrow. I don't want to walk!!!!!!! I want to RUN!!!!!

Oh and one more thing. I will be wearing less cute flat shoes and more supportive athletic shoes. Even with my dress clothes for long days at work on my feet.

So. I'm praying for a pain free run tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment