“Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.” 1 Corinthians 6:19, 20.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, March 7, 2011

Fibro Flare!!!

If you have been reading since the beginning,or you know me really well, you know I have Fibromyalgia. I have learned really well how to manage my Fibro but once in a while I have what's called a Fibro Flare. When my Fibro "flares up". Typically it has a very fast onset. Like I go to bed fine and wake up feeling like I've been beat up and run through the wringer (spelling?). Often time sudden weather changes involving cold air set me off. Well, today was a Fibro Flare. I woke up and couldn't stand to walk. My fibro flares effect my legs and hips a great deal. It basically makes them ache and have severe pain, feel bruised to the touch, and I become severely fatigued all over.   I thought a warm shower would help so I began getting ready for work and it only got worse. So I had to call in to work for a sub. Not one of my favorite things to do , especially with Festival fast approaching. 

So I stayed in and sat in a warm bath, slept for a few hours, and stretched as often as I could stand. I was scheduled for Physical Therapy today so I kept that appointment. They pulled back on a few of my exercises there and I made it through therapy successfully. I then stayed to get in the water for a while which was encouraged by my physical therapist. Exercise is good for flares but quite miserable. Often times I can take slow walks but it was too cold and Im restricted from the treadmill.  So I decide to give the water a whirl and see if I could get the exercise my flare up needed without the miserable pain. It worked really quite well. It, by no means fixed everything but I was able to be mobile and with the support of the water had little to no weight on my legs an hips. I wasn't pushing hard in a cardio manner. My goal was to be mobile for a hour.  I had a lot less fatigue when I got out of the water than when I got in. I actually made it out of therapy in time to go into a class, Aqua Zumba. I would NEVER be able to stand a regular Zumba class during a flare. It was all about the water for me. I am feeling a bit better tonight and expect that the flare will be gone by morning. 

If I were a fish I just might be Fibro free!

I'm posting a separate post about my Aqua Zumba experience (aside from how it did with my Fibro) and my recent nutrition failures and successes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment